Overgaauw Tria Corda 2012 Tasting Notes
- Vineyard location: Stellenbosch Kloof, 180m above sea level, S- facing, 15km from False Bay
- Moderate Climate: Winter ave temp: 13ºC (min 7ºC, max 17ºC), Summer ave temp: 21.5ºC (min 20.5º, max 30.5ºC)
- Soil: Deep Hutton and Clovelly (decomposed Granite)
- Age of vines: Average 25 years
- Trellising: 4-wire hedge system with moveable wires
- Pruning: Cordon system with 2 bud spurs, ensuring low yields
- Harvest date: February/March 2012
- Yield per hectare: Cab Sauv-6 tons; Merlot - 6 tons; Cabernet Franc - 6 tons.
- Baling: 25ºB
- Length of fermentation: Varietals fermented separately for ave 9 days on the skins at 26ºC
- Maceration on skins: 10 days
- Maturation: 18 months in 225L French oak barrels. 60% new and 40 % second fill
- Alcohol: 14% vol
- Total Acid: 5.5 g/l
- pH: 3.6
- RS: 2.2 g/l
Winemaker’s comments: This Tria Corda is a full-bodied Bordeaux style blend of Cabernet Sauvignon (62%), Merlot (35%) and Cabernet Franc (3%). Its seductively perfumed nose generously offers layers of cassis, raspberry, cedar and a touch of spice and minerals. The nose follows through onto a silky, well-balanced palate which delivers fine ripe tannins and a long concentrated finish the perfect foil for the wine’s brilliant fruit. Its structure and rich fruit ensure at least 10 years ageing potential.
Note about past vintages: A combination of first and second-fill oak was used until 1994, followed by 100% new wood until 2004. Since then we have returned to the combination of new and second fill, to allow the wine to express its unique terroir origins.
Food Suggestions: Fillet of beef with a cream based (mustard/black mushroom) or Bérnaise sauce, rack or slow roasted leg of lamb with a rosemary crust, gemsbok/kudu rump steak with a creamy wholegrain mustard sauce.