Overgaauw Merlot 2013 Tasting Notes
- Vineyard Location: Stellenbosch Kloof 185m above sea level, S-facing, 15km from False Bay.
- Moderate Climate: Winter ave temp: 13ºC (min 7ºC, max 17ºC), Summer ave temp: 21.5ºC (min 20.5º, max 30.5ºC)
- Soil Type: Deep Hutton and Clovelly (decomposed Granite)
- Age of vines: 32 years
- Trellising: 4-wire hedge system with moveable wires
- Pruning: Cordon system with 2 bud spurs, ensuring low yield
- Harvest date: February 2013
- Yield per hectare: 6 tons
- Sugar content at harvest: 24.8ºB
- Length of fermentation:
- 24-hour cold soak followed by 9 days at 25ºC 3 aerations per day, maceration on skins 10 days
- Maturation: 18 months in 30% new 35% 2nd and 35% 4th fill 225L French oak barrels
- Alcohol: 14% vol
- Total Acid: 5.5 g/l
- pH: 3.65
- Residual sugar: 2.7 g/l
Winemaker’s comments: The Overgaauw Merlot is still made in its original ’Cape European’ style. David selects certain pockets within the vineyard showing great fruit concentration reflecting the uniqueness of Overgaauw’s Merlot. It is a well-structured, medium-bodied wine with a rich combination of sumptuous black cherry fruit, hints of dark mocha chocolate and elegant spicy oak notes from the 18 months in French oak barrels.
The fine but firm tannins are complemented by a mouth-filling fruity and lingering complexity. While this Merlot can be enjoyed now it invites another 7 years in the bottle when it should reveal a pleasant surprise to those with patience. Decant this wine 2 hours prior for optimum enjoyment.
Food suggestions: Foie gras, rare beef roast, grilled leg of lamb with fresh herbs, roasted lamb with creamy blue cheese and nuts, duck and cherry pie, Osso bucco and even mild red meat, Thai dishes.