Overgaauw Cabernet Sauvignon 2012 Tasting Notes
Winemaker’s comments: This is a classic elegant Stellenbosch Kloof Cabernet Sauvignon, a wine that truly honours its roots. The deep dark velvet colour and intensity draws you into this complex wine of great finesse; with its dark plum core and intriguing layers of roasted spice and cedar wood, a mélange of red and blackberry fruit and a full rich round palate and a lengthy finish. Although accessible, the firm but ripe tannins give it the structure for 7 to 10 years cellaring, when it should reach its full potential
Game steak with red wine mushroom sauce, Fillet with Béarnaise sauce, Lamb sweet-potato and butternut braise, Fresh bay leaf infused rack of lamb.
- Vineyard Location: Stellenbosch Kloof 185m above sea level, S- facing, 15km from False Bay.
- Moderate Climate: Winter ave temp: 13ºC (min 7ºC, max 17ºC), Summer ave temp: 21.5ºC (min 20.5º, max 30.5ºC)
- Soil Type: Deep red Clovelly (decomposed Granite)
- Age of vines: 24 years
- Trellising: 4-wire hedge system with moveable wires
- Pruning: Cordon system with 2 bud spurs, ensuring low yield
- Harvest date: March 2012
- Yield per hectare: 6 tons
- Sugar content at harvest: 24.8ºB
- Length of fermentation: 10 days with 3 to 4 aerations per day.
- Maceration on skins: 11 days
- Maturation: 18 months in 40% new and 60% 2nd- 4th fill 225L French Oak Barrels
- Alcohol: 14% vol
- Total Acid: 5.6 g/l
- pH: 3.66
- Residual sugar: 2.2 g/l